Approach Management

So what’s the big deal with carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, toxic gas which interferes with the oxygen-carrying capacity of blood. CO is non-irritating and can overcome persons without warning. Many people die from CO poisoning, usually while using gasoline powered tools and generators in buildings or semi-enclosed spaces without adequate ventilation.

 

 

Effects of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Severe carbon monoxide poisoning causes neurological damage, illness, coma and death.

Symptoms of CO exposure
- Headaches, dizziness and drowsiness
- Nausea, vomiting, tightness across the chest

Some Sources of Exposure
- Portable generators/generators in buildings
- Concrete cutting saws, compressors
- Power trowels, floor buffers, space heaters
- Welding, gasoline powered pumps
- Preventing CO Exposure
- Forklifts

Never use a generator or any fuel power equipment indoors or in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces such as garages, crawl spaces, and basements.

Opening windows and doors in an enclosed space may help prevent CO buildup, but there still could be an exposure to CO. Have a CO or 4 gas meter will determine if there is a hazard present.

Do not use a generator outdoors if placed near doors, windows or vents which could allow CO to enter and build up in occupied spaces.

When using space heaters and stoves ensure that they are in good working order to reduce CO buildup, and never use in enclosed spaces or indoors.

Consider using tools powered by electricity or compressed air, if available.

If you experience symptoms of CO poisoning get to fresh air right away and seek immediate medical attention.

<< back to news
Minimizing Risk. Maximizing Savings.