Healthy eating is smart. If we do not take care of our health, at some point our bodies will develop problems. Without our health we may not able to fulfill our daily jobs. Eating well should be a major goal to keep your body healthy throughout life.
Our bodies work like machines and food is the equivalent of fuel to our bodies. If you are consistently putting bad fuel in a machine it will breakdown. Diet has a big effect on your overall health. It has been linked to many different health issues both debilitating and in some cases fatal.
Health problems caused by poor eating habits include heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and some types of cancer. Heart Disease is the number one cause of death in the United States and is closely linked with diet. A proper diet reduces the chances of conditions such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and obesity which are all factors in whether a person has heart disease or not. Heart disease and other aliments like it have a major effect on you day in and day out. Whether it is the actual disease or medications you need to take to combat it, you will not be able to feel 100% well every day.
There are also smaller issues that a poor diet causes that can affect you daily. Fatigue and lack of focus can sometimes be attributed to eating poorly. Being fatigued can affect performing your job safely. When you are not feeling 100% you are putting yourself and others around you at risk. Eat healthy to benefit yourself and family first, but also think of the positive effects it can have on your work.
Quick Tips to a Better Diet
Consult a doctor or nutritionist before any major diet changes.
- Drink more water. Water serves many important purposes for our bodies. Most Americans do not drink enough water each day and are not aware of it.
- Limit food with processed sugar. Sodas, candy, sweets, and other junk food are filled with processed sugar. These foods can lead to obesity and diabetes.
- Eat more fiber. Fiber has proven to help fight off some cancers. It also limits the number of calories your body will absorb.
- Choose whole grain foods. Whole grain foods contain many nutrients and like fiber, it can help you maintain regular bowel movements.
- Take a multivitamin. Multivitamins can help you get essential vitamins and nutrients you may not be getting in your diet.
If you are not feeling good, you cannot work to the best of your ability. Whether it is health issues or lack of energy, your diet plays a big part in safety at work. If your focus is not on the task or you do not have the energy to take the extra steps to ensure the task is being performed safely, you are putting yourself and others at risk. Take a moment to reflect on your diet and how it affects your work.