A crane is one of the most versatile and important pieces of equipment found on a construction job. However, it can also be one the most dangerous, since it typically lifts heavy loads over large areas of a project.
Today we will discuss some of the important safety points about working around cranes.
- Always be aware of the swing radius of the crane.
- Never walk within the swing radius of the crane.
- Never work under suspended loads.
- Never ride the hook. There are too many hazards you can’t control.
- Always wear a hard hat, especially when there is a load overhead.
- Stay off and away from the crane unless you are assigned to be on the crane.
- Never walk under a boom, especially if it has a load on it.
When working around a crane, the crane operator is going to be watching his load or the signal person and not for stray workers.
Never enter the swing radius of a crane unless it is absolutely necessary.
Never work within the swing radius.
Hard hats are always required when working around a crane.