Good health is critical to your own personal safety, and healthy eating should be a major goal for you to maintain a long life.
Our bodies work like machines and are only able to withstand so much abuse. Food is the equivalent of fuel to our bodies. If you are consistently putting bad fuel in a machine, it will breakdown. Diet has a big effect on your overall health. It has been linked to many different health issues, including many diseases and cancer.
Health problems caused by poor eating habits include:
some types of cancer.
Heart Disease is the number one cause of death in the United States and is closely linked with diet. A proper diet reduces the chances of conditions such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and obesity which are all factors in whether a person has heart disease or not. Heart disease and other aliments like it have a major effect on you day in and day out. Whether it is the actual disease or medications you need to take to combat it, you will not be able to feel 100% well every day.
There are also smaller issues a poor diet causes that can affect you daily.
Fatigue and lack of focus can sometimes be attributed to eating poorly. Being fatigued can have major effects on performing your job safely. When you are not feeling 100% you are putting yourself and others around you at risk. Eat healthy to benefit yourself and family first, but also think of the positive effects it can have on your work.
Quick Tips to a Better Diet
Consult a doctor or nutritionist before any major diet changes.
- Drink more water. Most people do not drink enough water each day but may not even be aware of it.
- Limit food with processed sugar. Sodas, candy, sweets, and other junk food are filled with processed sugar. These foods can lead to obesity and diabetes.
- Eat more fiber. Fiber has proven to help fight off some cancers. It also limits the number of calories your body will absorb.
- Choose whole grain foods. Whole grain foods contain many nutrients and like fiber, it can help you maintain regular bowel movements.
- Take a multivitamin. Multivitamins can help you get essential vitamins and nutrients you may not be getting in your diet.
Diet and Work
What you choose to eat can have a major effect on your health and how you feel. How you feel at work will have a major effect on being able to, and choosing to, work safely. It is important to make sure the things you eat and drink are helping improve your health, not hurt it.
Take a moment to reflect on your diet and how it might affect your daily work.